by Liz LaRosa
(modified from original in text book)
- to identify the parts of a
- to observe the spores released from
different types of mushrooms.
- to understand the way fungi
- You will be given one mushroom per
lab couple. Record what type you have in Figure 1.
- Make a sketch of your mushroom in
Figure 1. Label the cap, stalk and gills.
- Carefully remove the stalk from the
- Place the cap, gill side down,
cover with a beaker, and leave untouched for 2 days.
- Remove cap and spray spores with
- Examine prints with magnifying
- Sketch/Place your spore print in
Figure 1: Sketch of Mushroom
Figure 2: Spore Print
- What did you observe on the paper
when you removed the cap?
- Name all the parts of a mushroom
that you observed.
- Why did we add hair spray to the
- Why did we use the magnifying
- Explain how fungi use spores to
- If fungi release millions of
spores, why aren't we overrun by fungi?
2 - 3 sentences on what you